Friday, November 7, 2008

Dogs, Destroyers, and Dragon Door

As I was putting dear friend and Dog Brother Mike Florimbi through his snatch test preparation, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and First Lady Maria Shriver walked by. After a quick "Good morning, Governor", answered by nods & smiles from both of them, the man who played Conan the Destroyer watched the Dog Brother snatching the 24kg Dragon in Hard Style while his wife looked on with interest.

OK... Back to the book. More in a few, God-willing.

---

Back again. So as of maybe 6pm last night, the manuscript got sent out to the powers that be for additional editing and contributions. While I don't feel like I'm completely in the clear yet, I do at least feel like I can go and spend time with Squealie guilt free. Hopefully, I won't find a bootprint from a Good Ol' Boy on my backside after the manuscript is actually reviewed.

Reformulating how I'm going to spend my time has become a major goal, and I plan to make inroads on that this weekend. Using an idea I heard on the RKC Instructors Forum, I'm going to schedule my OWN training sessions and restorative sessions first and then input everything else around those. Let's see how this affects my time management. Once I've battled it out, I'll let you guys know the outcome.

For now, I'm glad to just be home for a couple of hours before heading off to teach at the Inosanto Academy again. This morning's Fut Ga Kuen & Tai-Chi classes were outstanding - solid progress and a deeper appreciation of how the fundamental concepts and movement patterns apply in everything from Chi-Kung to swordsmanship. Days like today are what keep me teaching traditional martial arts.

OH, and before I forget, Nikki Shlosser, RKC, did a bottoms-up Turkish Get-Up this morning with a 16kg bell on both sides. Still think you're hard?

5 comments:

Amy Jurrens said...

Cool story! The kind that only happens when an author is trying hard not to have to face the screen. lol ;-)

Keep writing Doc! Need an editor?

Unknown said...

Prof. Jurrens, I do indeed need someone to help with layout. Got some ideas??? If so, please drop me a line via e-mail.

Unknown said...

Ben, if that had happened, I'd have fallen over dead of shock.

That'd be like Jackie Chan walking up to you and saying, "Can you show me that kick?"

maritz said...

omg... i love turkish get ups! 16kg tho??? holy shit!
that's effing awesome! you need to post a video of that!

Unknown said...

16kg, Girl! Believe every gram of it. She put it up & brought it down with greater ease than I see most people doing it with a standard grip.

No video yet, though. I'm willing to bet that the BU-TGU max for Com. Nikki is nowhere near 16kg. Wait n' see!